Our SmartCarb meal plan is centered on foods and ingredients with minimal processing, little to no added sugar, and balanced carbohydrates (foods that also have protein and fiber). These meals will provide you a steady supply of energy during the day, fewer blood sugar fluctuations, a feeling of satiety with each meal and snack, and fewer cravings—all while losing weight and enjoying delicious food.
What foods are included?
SmartCarb meal plans feature foods and recipes that you can customize based on preferences and allergies. Foods offered in the meal plan may include:
- Lean meat, fish, and poultry, as well as plant-based proteins like tofu, beans, and legumes
- Eggs and dairy foods with no added sugar
- Non-starchy vegetables
- Healthy fats (such as oils and avocado)
- Nuts and nut butters
- Some portion-controlled, carbohydrate-rich foods with a lower glycemic index (such as sweet potatoes, corn tortillas, and some whole grains like quinoa, farro, and oats)
- Portion-controlled whole fruit with no added sugar
- One alcoholic beverage per day (if desired)
What’s not included in SmartCarb meal plans?
- Refined bread products such as bread, flour tortillas, buns, and rolls
- Refined snacks such as crackers and pretzels
- Desserts and sweets
- Foods and recipes with more than 2 teaspoons added sugar per serving
- Carbohydrate-based entrées such as pasta and rice dishes
Who should try the SmartCarb customization?
The SmartCarb meal plan is a healthy way to eat and lose weight for everyone. However, individuals that may see the greatest benefit are:
- Individuals who aim to keep their blood sugar within a certain daily range*
- Individuals who are prone to hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)
- Individuals who struggle with carbohydrate and sugar cravings
- Individuals seeking a plan with more whole, unprocessed foods and less added sugars
- Individuals who have lost weight on the Cooking Light Diet but now feel weight loss has slowed